Monday 21 April 2008

Rosemary Wels

A lot of my work is divided into series, or collections, and is undertaken much like a ‘project’. It is most often inspired by the visible world, often affected by transitory conditions such as weather or times of day, or seen through glass, condensations or rain.

Work based on night has been exhibited in solo shows entitled: Night Works, Nightscapes, and Drawing the Moon (December 2006). One body of work shown in my exhibition Nightboxes could be termed ‘Box Art’, since the images whether photographs, drawings, or mixed media in origin, are housed in boxes or various sorts. Voyeuristic apertures in the boxes or light boxes are intended to emphasize the viewing experience.

Work submitted for this Exhibition:

• Demerara River: Demerara River from the Prairie Hotel + exotic bird.
• Aligator Creek: Aligator Creek, near Arrowpoint and Amerindian settlements.
• Breadfruit Tree Leaf: Breadfruit tree leaf, sugar plantation, coconut trees.
• Rough Seas, Barbados: Wind, waves, palms; Barbados coast, evening.

These are new works inspired by the Caribbean. Despite having been born in British Guiana, now Guyana, I had not worked with this imagery except in attempts at poetry, but I’d always thought that one day I’d start on the environment from my childhood and a trip to revisit enabled me to do these drawings, one of which was done from a canoe as I insisted someone else row. This tentative start may well lead to a new ‘collection’ as I trawl my visual memory for the images which first inspired me as a child, the tropical vegetation, the rough sea crossings.
I also have large woodcuts for sale entitled Applewhaites Plantation, Barbados 1 & 2, based on a section of a sketchbook drawing, done in the back garden of my cousin’s house in Barbados.

I am a member of Nottingham Contemporary Artists Network, and Nottingham Artists’ Group on Carrington Street, Nottingham.

No comments: